Thursday, January 14, 2010

Shopping and Networking

OK where did i leave off..
Tuesday, I blogged (obviously), put photos on Facebook and researched sights. I cooked up a big lunch then left Chris and headed downtown to Christopher Street. Not specifically for any reason, but it does connect with Broadway and follow to Washington Park, a great monument. It was under construction so there were a lot of dirt mounds and orange tape around, kinda killed the spirit of the place, but still nice. I then kept walking to Lafayette where, again, it intersects with Broadway in a spectacular shopping experience. So, Broadway runs the length of Manhattan, and is interesting the entire stretch. On it is Tom's Restaurant, The Late Show With David Letterman, Time Square ...all sorts of things. And Lafayette is another big exciting street, which has knockoff brands and thrift stores. so when the two meet! Well, I can tell you. I did spend a whooping $8.98 at the Salvation Army store! I then caught the subway to Grand Central Station. I cant even really describe how amazing it is. You have to see it. White marble, big stairs, chandeliers, the lot.
Went home to Michelle's in Time Square, and watched....SEINFELD!!! Wooo.

Wednesday morning I awoke and watched a cruise ship arrive at Pier 18 on the Hudson from here on the 19th floor. I met Chris down at the dock because his dad and partner were arriving on the ship and leaving on a plane. Had a great Mexican breakfast, fruit salad for me...so not too Mexican, but it did of course include cafe con leche.
Ha a funny story is that Chris was running from his place north of the Pier, and was running late (in true Shephard style), so he caught a taxi. He arrived and didn't have any money to pay, so came over and ran back but the driver had to leave because there was no place to wait. Then while walking to the cafe a taxi pulls up and starts yelling. Chris yells back that we don't need a cab etc etc. then the guy says 'This Guy!!! I drive him all the way and he doesn't pay me!!!'. We all burst out laughing while Chris grabs his money. Cant get away with much in this town.

Anyway, after breakfast Chris and I walked to Columbus circle, which is the south west corner of central park. there is a huge mall type thing around the roundabout. Then I left Chris and walked to 5th ave and 51st to shops and had a look. H & M is a good one, I get the impression it is like Glassons but different enough to be slightly cooler. Walked past The Ed Sullivan Theatre and Hello Deli (The Late Show with David Letterman) and headed to 46th and 10th to the Salvation Army MEGA STORE!!! twas great! I spent a good hour and a half wandering around trying things on (there's no changing rooms so just have to try things in front of a mirror). Bought a swag load of stuff for $15 and made my way home via a couple of antique stores. Wednesday night I accompanied Michelle to Kiwi Night and meet a few people from home. So funny to see New Zealander's out of New Zealand...everyone somehow instantly becomes Kiwi stereotypes. One girl talked for about 45minutes about how her family's shop was in Goodbye Pork Pie for a few seconds. Gave me hope though, that I could one day live here too :P
The big news here at the moment is of course the Haiti earthquake. But second to biggest, is that Conan O'Brien is getting shoved out of NBC. So i sat down at 11.30 and watched one of his last shows. The great Ricky Gervais swore a few times then I went to bed.

Thursday (or today, if your in the same timezone as me), I arose early and subwayed my way to the Brooklyn Bridge. Wandered the length and watched the sun on Manhattan and the silhouette of Brooklyn. Such a beautiful spot, I saw the Statue of Liberty for the first time, in the far distance and then explored a little of Brooklyn. After about 10minutes I began to feel out of my element amongst the building projects and lottery stands so began my way back to town. I met Chris for a lunch break at Tom's Restaurant (from Seinfeld). We had a great vanilla milkshake and mozzarella sticks. yum. Not far from there is an incredible area called Children's Sculpture Garden which is full of small animals sculpted by children of all ages and in the centre is a huge, big, complex battle between the Archangel Michael and Satan. I will post photos shortly because it was spectacular, I cant even talk about it.
After I had explored in the garden for a while i headed to Toys'R'Us. Huge. There's a Ferris wheel in the store and a big TRex and all sorts of crazy things. I bought some headphones and went home.
I accompanied Michelle to yet another Kiwi thing tonight. This time it was a little different. It was a practise for a show that is organised through, and for, the KEA group which is a networking company for New Zealand business people outside of New Zealand. So we arrive at the 9th floor penthouse apartment to be greeted by several men in suits, drinking wine, standing around a grand piano. Because neither of us really knew what we were going to, we were taken aback by the confrontation that we were now in a room full of adults. I don't know about Michelle, but I knew I shouldn't be there. We gathered and begun, each person given a role in the short musical written for a conference type gathering of New Zealander's. It was hysterical.
And now, here I am, back at Michelle's for one more night. I am very likely to carry on my nightly routine; turn electric blanket on (its 2* out), watch some late night TV and then hit the hay.

No comments:

Post a Comment