Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Lazy days in the city.

So, we have been quite slow and layed back with our lifestyle here for the last few days. On Friday we went to Dino Bar for a drink, when we got there we found that it was actually called Dino Bar-B-Que so was full of buffolo wings and steak. But we had a great portobello mushroom burger then headed to the supermarket. We loaded up on provisions then ran to the movies to catch AVATAR 3D in time. It was amazing.

Saturday I slept in again (not helping my jet lag), then Chris and I went for a walk along the Hudson. The water was freezing over and there was snow and trees and evening sunlight. We ended up walking about 80 blocks then headed east into the city to find some food. Had yet another portobello mushroom burger and then walking to the subway station we passed Brazil Brazil Bar!!! Yay!! Stopped in for a casaca coffee (i know, its weird, but thats what we felt like). Then we made our way home on the subway.

Sunday we had bagels for breakfast, only $2. I made lists while Chris organised his things and then we went for a run along the Hudson River. I have quickly adjusted to the 'keep right' scheme here in America so i didn't run into anyone. Twas -3*celsius but running warmed me up fast. The Hudson was more frozen than the day before.

Monday morning the guy came to fix the broken radiator, so there was at last peace and quiet. I ditched Chris so he could get some work done, and went for a big walk along Morningside Park, one of my favourite places so far. The pathway follows along a steep wall that leads down into the main part of the park. But walking along the wall there are amazing views of Harlem, not to mention loads of squirrels. I carried walking east and wandered through the Northen Woods of Central Park, then walked home along Broadway, North to Amsterdam - where Chris lives. Chris and I then caught various subway trains to Brooklyn for a meeting he had. I wandered along the waterfront to the Brooklyn Bridge. Such a beautiful, yet still cold, night. Will have to go back during the day to walk along the bridge itself. When I could stand the cold night air no longer, I had a coffee in a great cafe called Boca, that was furnished with antique tables and chairs and had walls covered in books. Chris came and met me after his meeting and we wandered around exploring a little, then caught the subway to the heart of Manhatten to visit a good family friend, Michelle. She lives just above Time Square, with spectacular views of the city. Had a great dinner with her. She hooked me up with a cell phone so i can stay in touch with both her and Chris when im out exploring the city.

Today I am going to buckle down and do some extreme sight seeing. Tourism here I come.

No comments:

Post a Comment